Boca Juniors and River Plate will go head to head this Saturday 10th November at La Bombonera stadium. It'll be the first leg of what promises to be a historical CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018 Final.
After a long and hard journey to the final for both sides this is what all that sacrifice was for. It's a chance for them to make a statement, to further enhance their legacy and lay down yet another marker in world football.
While Boca haven't conceded a goal in any of their last seven home matches against Argentinian sides in the Libertadores, River are unbeaten away from home in the current competition themselves (three wins, three draws).
The other key stats ahead of the final
- River and Boca both reached the final with identical records in this season's CONMEBOL Libertadores: six victories, five draws and one defeat.
- River have been the 'away side' in all of their Libertadores final appearances. On previous occasions, in the first legs of those finals, they beat América de Cali, drew against Tigres and lost against Peñarol, Cruzeiro and América de Cali.
- Boca have never lost a home match in the Libertadores final: they've beaten Cruzeiro, Santos and Grêmio and drawn against Palmeiras, Once Caldas and Corinthians.
- Boca have taken seven more shots than River in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018 (155-148), but River have hit more shots on target (52-51).
- Boca have a better accurate passing percentage (79.9%) and higher possession stats (53.4%) than River in this current competition (74.6% and 52% respectively).
- Both sides have scored 10 goals in the second halves of matches in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018; however in terms of first half goals, Boca have scored seven more than River (11-4).
- In the last five official Superclásicos (in all competitions), the side with the least possession has won (three victories for River and two for Boca).
- Cristian Pavón has been involved in more goals (8; three goals and five assists) and more shots (32 shots and 18 shot assists) than any other player from Boca or River in the Libertadores 2018.
- River Plate's Franco Armani has made 31 saves and conceded six goals in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018; Boca's keepers, Agustín Rossi and Esteban Andrada, have made 24 saves in total and conceded nine goals.
- Boca Juniors captain, Pablo Pérez, has won the ball back more times than anyone else (99) in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018.
- River Plate's Lucas Pratto has contested more aerial duels (125) and won more (65) than anyone else in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018.
- River's Leonardo Ponzio (490) and Boca's Pablo Pérez (566) are the players from their respective sides to have completed the most passes in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018.
- Franco Armani and Gonzalo Montiel have played every available minute for River in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018 (1,080 minutes).
- Ramón Ábila is the top goalscorer for Boca in the CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018 with four goals; he's also provided two assists.
- Gonzalo Martínez has been involved in three of River's last four goals against Boca Juniors (in all competitions), scoring two and assisting one.